Sunday studying…

Got the radio on, my old blue jeans / And I’m wearing my heart on my sleeve ♪♫♪

My current state-of-being: secluded in the corner of Caribou Coffee, huddled over my laptop and textbooks while binge-drinking vanilla tea latte. I’m quietly singing to the Alanis Morissette and Avril Lavigne songs that keep playing over the café speakers, but I should probably stop since the barista keeps giving me odd looks. Today is a peaceful Sunday, even though as always, I’m barely keeping up with plenty of work to get done. The weekend is always too short, and this semester is just flying by. I can’t believe I just registered for spring courses. At the moment I’m just relieved to take a break from my treacherous organic chemistry homework to make my very first blog post ever!

My name is Sarah and I am currently a sophomore Biochemistry major and Russian minor, which I am often told is an odd combination. But I studied abroad in Russia in high school and fell in love with the language, so I’ve kept up with it ever since. It’s my hope to study there again sometime in the next three years. I am “one of those crazy pre-med students” and a member of GPPA medicine. It’s an incredible honor to be a part of that program, and one of the big lessons I take away from it is to never let myself settle for complacency, in classes or otherwise. I try to consistently challenge myself and take risks, even if it leads to a rather hectic lifestyle with long days and late night.

After a long day, I decompress by making all types of hot tea, tinkering on the piano, and reading for fun, especially young adult books from my childhood. I have awful eyesight and somehow I went from being farsighted as a toddler to being extremely nearsighted now. My go-to series to watch on Netflix is How I Met Your Mother but my all-time favorite shows are probably Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. Whenever I get a chance to head home in Naperville, I like to relax by baking with my mom, going to the movies with my brother, or cheering on the Chicago Bulls with my dad. I own over 30 scarves and always have trouble picking the right one every morning. It seems like the weather is getting colder every day and I’m dreading the frigid days ahead because I get cold very easily.

I love music and couldn’t live without it. One of my favorite things to do is to craft playlists for specific people, occasions, or memories. I have all kinds of artists and genres in my iTunes library. While I listen to instrumental or piano music when I study, I indulge in Taylor Swift and radio music, especially when I workout. I try really hard to carve out an hour a day to go to the gym, and my workouts usually consist of running, Pilates, and some casual lifting. I like to challenge myself by signing up for various races throughout the year. My longest one yet was the Chicago Half Marathon this past September, and I actually just finished the Chicago Perfect 10 (10K) yesterday morning at Navy Pier! Stay tuned for my next blog post coming soon about that experience.

Well, it’s time for me to get back to the books – I have plenty of cell bio reading to get caught up on before a quiz tomorrow as well as work to get done for my job. I work as a Peer Mentor in Courtyard residence hall for Campus Housing, and I’m currently planning a tea-tasting program. I’m super excited because I absolutely love tea and can’t wait to share it with my residents! In the meantime, though, I’m keeping to my corner in Caribou with my books…although I think it may be time for another latte…

I’ll be strong, I’ll be wrong, but life goes on / I’m just a girl trying to find a place in this world ♪♫♪

(A Place In This World – Taylor Swift)

Picutre of author

About Sarah Lee

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am a junior Neuroscience student in GPPA Medicine who is still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do in my life. One day I want to be fluent in Russian and explore Eastern Europe. In my free time, I love running, playing piano and guitar, and reading. I currently live in Courtyard residence hall as a Peer Mentor but my home is in Naperville.

Share This