Everyone I know is always making a list of things they want to do before something ends, whether it’s the summer, college, a study abroad program or even life. I have done the same thing, too, even though mine is usually just a giant mental note. But wouldn’t it be just as fun to make a list of things we don’t ever want to do? Like things we hope never happen to us, or things we plan on avoiding at all costs? I definitely thought so…
HOLLY’S UN-BUCKET LIST
- Come within 50 miles of a killer whale.
- Try calamari again.
- Break a bone or need to be hospitalized for an emergency.
- Have no pets.
- Be fired from a job.
- Live far away from my immediate family.
- Get in a car accident.
- Create roadkill.
- Eat dessert that isn’t chocolate.
- Have to have another surgery.
- Get more cavities.
- Watch the White Sox continue to play like the Cubs.
- Have no plan.
- Have no success finding another internship.
- Touch a cactus.
- Skydive or bungee jump.
- Ride any type of roller coaster.
- Get a ticket.
- Wake up late on the day of an important event.
- Have outfits that don’t have a pair of matching shoes.
- Perpetually lose sleep or feel constantly exhausted.
- Get another papercut.
- Live somewhere where it’s never summer.
- Be conflicted about what I want to do with my life.
- Get stung by a bee or wasp.
- Do my taxes or pay bills.
- Get yelled at for no reason.
- Develop a severe allergy.
- Lose all time for reading.
There’s my list; it’s definitely ever-growing. I’m sure that if you took some time to think about it, there’s probably a lot of things that you never want to do that you are just as passionate about not doing as there are things that you are passionate about doing. It’s kind of nice to think about them this way because it helps lead me on the right path. I can look at this list next time I’m in the desert and remember that I don’t want to touch a cactus….
….But all jokes aside, I don’t see why this isn’t as important to consider as are the things you want to make sure you do. Take some time to think about it. You might come to find you have some irrational fears just like me, or you may read between the lines and see exactly what you want to do!