Probably one of the most beautiful things that I have discovered as a student at UIC is that the people we meet can always be in our lives. Maybe at first we meet someone and they may not be who we thought they were, and later we see that and appreciate it (or dread it). Maybe we knew someone before coming to UIC and later did not keep contact with them (either on purpose or not). Regardless, we see and meet people every day who are kind, who are frivolous, and who are just doing their thing (being amazing, being laid-back, being what they feel comfortable being).
It’s awesome, and I feel that as the years go by we as a community are getting closer and closer. Of course, I still have my share of attending more seminars and lectures around campus and “fun” events I have not privileged myself to take advantage of. There are still lots of experiences to be had here and I hope to make my senior year (starts in the fall!) a great one.
No matter what you are feeling today or right now in this moment (most likely stress of finals studying), just realize that you have a reason to be here. And if you don’t, then figure out that reason and pursue it. I hope that all of us at UIC may be able to find something that moves us and drives us to be at our best and contribute as much as we can to our communities.
Let us be an institution that others will follow suit, the role model for other colleges and universities. I know sometimes we may say “I can’t wait to get out of here.” But I think there will be moments you will remember that changed you and made you who you are today (even if they are bad ones). Take those experiences an embrace them as lessons learned and to be reviewed daily.
All right, I’ll stop being philosophical. I’ve got three finals and then I’m done with my junior year! My summer will be quite intensive:
- MOST Summer Program – Going to be continuing research and moving onto human stuff!
- MCAT Studying – I’ve moved my date like two times, but I know for a fact this is the last one and I’m going to do my best.
- Applying to Medical School – I heard it’s quite stressful so let’s see how things go. I won’t be able to turn in my MCAT score right away but I can at least do what I can and hope for the best! There’s always next year if anything.
- Working at UIC Campus Housing – I can’t wait to return to my graphic design and coding job! I miss coding so much.
- Applying for a Fulbright Scholarship to ETA in Taiwan – I had such a wonderful experience this past summer but it was only for two weeks! Doing it for a full year and getting to know the students longer would be amazing. It would also be a great way for me to understand the culture better and improve my Mandarin!
- Attending my cousin’s wedding in Mexico – We originally weren’t going to go, but with some freelancing jobs we now have the money for the plane tickets! I better take a crash-course in Spanish…
There’s probably more but that’s all I think of now. I hope everyone has some fun plans for the summer! You deserve the break.