The rhythm of life, still beating on

♪♫♪ Alors tu vois, comme tout se mêle / Et du cœur à tes lèvres, je deviens ton casse-tête…

I can’t believe it’s August. Seriously, where did my summer go? Oh that’s right, to research work, psych class, and, of course, organic chemistry lab. But I’m so relieved that this class will be over and done with in a matter of days…just need to get through this last final exam this week. By the time this post is up, unbelievably, I’ll even be done with it all. For the first time, I have a professor who does the “drop-any-exam” policy, meaning that I could drop the psychology final for my class because I was going in with a good grade already from the other three exams. Thank goodness, because I’ve had my hands full with so many other things! I turned in my final paper a couple days ago and I think it turned out nicely (how multitasking with laptops in class affects academic performance…it’s pretty much what you expect haha. Inverse relationship: more multitasking = lower grades. I guess I should take my own advice in the paper and more strictly stay off my laptop during lecture now…oops).

The final lab practical actually went well last week! We had to synthesize luminol for chemiluminescence, which is what forensics uses at crime scenes to detect bloodstains. It actually wasn’t too bad of a procedure, thankfully not involving distillation of any kind, and the hardest part was probably just heating things at over 200 degrees Celsius. I was relieved that one of my friends warned me not to burn my product, though, because I saw some people’s product turning black. I kept an eye on mine to make sure it stayed a yellowish color, and all went well (other than a few accidental brushes with the burning hot heating mantle). I was also careful to avoid my thermometer bursting, thank goodness, which is what happened to a neighboring student and scared me breathless because the glass flew everywhere. No one was hurt other than the thermometer thankfully, and everyone was a hundred times more watchful of their own thermometers after that. Note to any orgo lab students in the fall: keep your thermometer cooling down with your solution until at least 100 degree Celsius! The sudden temperature change from over 200 to room temp when you pull it out will make it explode, and this will terrify everyone around you and you will shamefully have to get the dustpan from the stock room and a new thermometer. While I didn’t have a very good percent yield, but the chemiluminescence portion went quite well. It felt like the longest seconds of my life, watching my professor watch her iPhone stopwatch to see how long my luminol would last. But that sucker managed to glow a brilliant bright blue for 20+ seconds, to my absolute relief.

In a matter of days I’ll be starting Campus Housing training and then right after that it’ll be time to shuffle into classes every day again. I don’t anticipate training to be difficult though, since I’ve been through it all once before last year, and I doubt very much protocol has changed. Honestly, I’ll probably be yawning through most of the lectures on community, duty, how to tutor, and so on, but it’s going to be so incredibly exciting meeting the whole new staff. Courtyard always has the largest staff by far (nearly 30 people), and with only a small fraction being returner staff (including fellow UIC blogger Holly, who is the Senior Resident Assistant!), there will be many many new faces to see and people to meet. I’m actually more nervous about getting ready for my residents, because I’ll have roughly 50 or more this year! That’s kind of a jump up for me from last year, when I was lucky with only about 30 residents. I’m worried that it’ll be hard to get to know everyone as personally, so I’ll have to step up my game in the first couple of weeks and try to put names to faces as soon as possible. And of course, I’m looking forward to meeting my co, the RA to my PM. I’m already thinking about door decs, bulletin boards, and floor decorations and what I can possibly make before the year is started. I’m not exactly the most artsy person when it comes to decorations and crafts, and it’s always been a struggle for me to be really creative with them…hopefully they come out somewhat appealing to the eye.

This is kind of what I was worried about when I started the summer – that I would feel burnt out at the end of classes and then jumping straight to training and then classes. But there’s no time for that, because who’s got time to be tired? I’m planning on taking this one free weekend (well, training starts Sunday, so really a little less than two days) to pull myself together and rally. I’ve got a long list of things to do that I’ve been putting off in lieu of more important things (school and work of course) and it’s time to catch up – namely little things for myself, like updating my music/running playlist at last because it’s sorely overdue, finish packing up stuff to move over to East campus, printing out some sheet music and chords to have ready to mess around with when I have time, and practicing that darn Bm chord on the guitar (the “real” way, not the “kiddie” way I’ve been playing it haha).

It’s not much, but these are little things that are keeping me sane lately. And I do want to cram as much reading of Neuroscience and Physics in as possible before the school year starts because I am so anxious about the heavy course load I’m taking this semester. I’m trying to scrape together a mental list of motivation to keep me going because, to be honest, I would love a vacation right about now!

Et malgré ça , il m’aime encore et moi je t’aime un peu plus fort / Mais il m’aime encore, et moi je t’aime un peu plus fort ♪♫♪

(Comme des enfants - Coeur de Pirate)

Picutre of author

About Sarah Lee

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am a junior Neuroscience student in GPPA Medicine who is still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do in my life. One day I want to be fluent in Russian and explore Eastern Europe. In my free time, I love running, playing piano and guitar, and reading. I currently live in Courtyard residence hall as a Peer Mentor but my home is in Naperville.

Share This