Shamrock Shuffling

I turn the music up / I got my records on / I shut the world outside until the lights come on…

Happy Spring, Chicago! At last the seemingly endless winter has ended. It’s terrific to be able to walk outside in just a light jacket or even short sleeves again! I even joined some students who were studying the quad the other day between classes. It was quite a wonderful sight to see after a long, harsh winter that left most of campus empty with people rushing to get indoors all the time. I’m hoping the warmth is here to stay!

With summer approaching fast, I’m excited for many new races to try, and I’m already signed up for a few of them in the summer and the fall, including a color run for the very first time! It’s been on my bucket list for a long time now to do a color run, so I can’t wait to be able to run the Color In Motion 5K in June with a few of my friends. I also tossed my name in for the lottery for a chance to run the Bank of America Chicago Marathon…I’m not sure if I’ll get lucky and be selected, but if I actually do get the opportunity to run it, I’d be so excited, although probably quite nervous as well. I remember how tough the Half Marathon was…running twice that distance would be extremely challenging.

To get myself excited and kick off the running season, I ran the Shamrock Shuffle 8K! The race
was on Sunday, March 30th, the last day of Spring Break, so I found it to be the perfect way to end my week of relaxation before going back to school refreshed. Although it was my second time running the Shamrock Shuffle, it was actuaully my first time ever running an entire race with somebody! One of my best friends Brandon and I ran the entire 5 miles together, and it was a very motivating experience. It was his first race ever, which was pretty amazing since he never an a 5K, which is what most runners start with.
I especially love the Shamrock Shuffle because while it’s more challenging than a 5K, it’s not overly strenuous like a half marathon or 10 mile run that would require weeks and weeks of training. Brandon and I ran in Wave 2, which started around 9 AM. I was hoping that starting later would mean that it might be a bit warmer, but alas that was not the case! Even though the weather is much nicer now, it was still absolutely frigid just a few weeks ago. As someone who feels cold very easily, I was shivering while I was running all the way until mile 4!

(Brandon also laughed at me because at one point I resorted to running with both of my hands tucked across my chest beneath my armpits to keep them warm. I must have looked really silly running like that, but hey, it was really cold! My fingers were FREEZING!)

I’m really proud of both of us. Even though we had anticipated that we would need to walk at some point during the race to recover, we actually never stopped or even slowed down until the finish line! Additionally, I achieved a personal landmark of not listening to music while I ran. That was a definite first for me, since usually I  am crazy reliant on my music to help me get through the tougher times during a run. I think I should try running without music more often, as it really made me focus more on my breathing and made me pay attention to my surroundings. Hopefully, with the upcoming good weather, I’ll have plenty of chances to go jogging outside and explore new running locations!

As we soar walls, every siren is a symphony / And every tear’s a waterfall

Picutre of author

About Sarah Lee

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am a junior Neuroscience student in GPPA Medicine who is still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do in my life. One day I want to be fluent in Russian and explore Eastern Europe. In my free time, I love running, playing piano and guitar, and reading. I currently live in Courtyard residence hall as a Peer Mentor but my home is in Naperville.

Share This