Perfect day for a perfect 10

Run fast for your mother, run fast for your father / Run for your children, your sisters and your brothers… ♪♫♪

On Saturday, November 9th, I ran the Chicago’s Perfect 10 race at Navy Pier! I ran the 10K (6.2 miles) race, which took place at 7:30 AM. The 10-mile race, which was an extension of the 10K course, started shortly after at 7:45 AM. This was only the third annual Chicago Perfect 10 at Navy Pier, and it was run by the Gateway for Cancer Research, which is a nonprofit organization that funds cancer research, including new drug investigations, combination therapies, and alternative medicine studies. I was happy that my entry fee was going toward a good cause, and before the race started, one of the race organizers, who is a cancer survivor herself, thanked all of the racers for participating that day.

I had signed up for the race kind of a on a whim, so I was pretty proud of my results! I finished in 52:47 (with 8:31 pace), which was faster than I expected. That typically happens though — I’ve noticed that adrenaline really gets to me on race days and I usually with better times than I anticipate. I came in 4th place in my division (girls 15-19) and 149th overall out of about 1,500 people.

I’ve been completely occupied with my courses and work the past couple weeks, so unfortunately I hadn’t really designated a lot of time to train. These days I just try to make enough time to fit a good workout in every day! After being a Peer Mentor for a few months, one thing I have definitely instilled in myself is how to be relentless with my time management. (Though sometimes even after all of my planning, it seems like there still aren’t enough hours in the day.)

Navy Pier was lovely at 6 AM! I arrived just as the sun was rising, so I was able to watch it from the pier. Then I played the usual waiting game / pre-race pump up by ambling from different sponsor tents to another. After a few races, I’ve learned that it’s pretty routine. There’s always the typical GNC/Road Runner Sports/Skechers booths, dozens of runners stretching in one corner, and somebody blasting “Livin’ On A Prayer” or “Firework” in the background. I was happy that it all took place indoors though, because it was still frigid outdoors! I was glad I chose to wear my longsleeve shirt to run that day, even though I typically only wear short sleeves because I sweat easily.

The race course was beautiful as well — after running through the Pier, we looped by Lake Michigan and eventually entered Grant Park. It was wonderful being able to sightsee while I ran, and the course itself was not too difficult — only at one point did I have some trouble running on some grassy patches (I’m always nervous that I’ll roll my ankle). Also the wind was treacherous at some points, which was to be expected so close to the lake. I’m not used to running in really cold temperatures, but I luckily warmed up pretty quickly. I was most tired between miles four and five, but I distracted myself with my upbeat running music. I also have this ridiculously competitive obsession with trying to pass people during races for some reason; even though I know I’m exhausted, I don’t like being passed by runners behind me! I suppose it’s a good motivating factor, though, because I always redouble my efforts no matter how strenuous so that I can keep up with those around me.

I look a little wild-eyed in this picture because I was trying to keep my eyes open in the crazy sun!

Overall it was a pretty fun race, and I would definitely do it again. Running is something I hope to continue for a long time to come. I’m not signed up for my next race just yet, but it may be a St. Patrick’s Day 5K or the Shamrock Shuffle!

The dog days are over, the dog days are done / Can you hear the horses? ‘Cause here they come ♪♫♪

(Dog Days Are Over,  Florence + The Machine)

Picutre of author

About Sarah Lee

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am a junior Neuroscience student in GPPA Medicine who is still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do in my life. One day I want to be fluent in Russian and explore Eastern Europe. In my free time, I love running, playing piano and guitar, and reading. I currently live in Courtyard residence hall as a Peer Mentor but my home is in Naperville.

Share This