“If there is a future, we want it Now.” – Paramore

♪♫♪ Well she lives in a fairy tale, somewhere too far for us to find / Forgotten the taste and smell of a world that she’s left behind…

There are very few artists in my music library that I can honestly say I own every single one of their albums and songs (including the unreleased!) but Paramore is one of them. So when I found out during the summer that Paramore would be playing in November at the UIC Pavilion, literally down the street at from where I live on campus, I was ecstatic and bought my ticket right away–and I am so happy I did because the concert was astounding! My friend Brandon and I met up amidst the bustling people inside the pavilion as the bands hellogoodbye and Metric opened the concert. When the lights dimmed down and PARAMORE finally flashed up in bright lights on both sides of the stage, there was a deafening roar in the crowd while the opening drums began to play.

I am quite thoroughly convinced that Hayley Williams is one of the most incredible singers/performers of all time – she has such an effortless stage presence that commands an entire screaming crowd and gets everybody pumped up. Her voice has an amazing range that can go from loud, crazy punk rock to slow, beautiful rock ballads. I was completely psyched for the concert beforehand, and she was even more amazing live than I expected. I don’t think many singers can do that! This concert was part of Paramore’s Self-Titled Tour and featured songs from their newest album Paramore, but I was thrilled that they also played the best of their old songs too, including lots of my favorites like Ignorance, Decode and crushcrushcrush. The whole pavilion lit up with cell phones and lights when they played the slow and soothing In the Mourning, which they even combined with some lines from Landslide by Fleetwood Mac, and the acoustic The Only Exception, one of my favorite songs. During the energetic Misery Business, she even brought a super lucky fan on stage to sing it with her!

I was completely pumped up during the whole concert. My friend was laughing a lot because I was jumping around and singing so much, whereas I’m usually a pretty reserved person. I fit in with the rest of the crowd though, because everyone was beyond excited by the time the finale came about, which was the super popular Still Into You. During the song, balloons rained from the ceiling of the pavilion and it felt like one crazy, awesome party. I had a fantastic time and it was the perfect way for me to end a hard week with one of my favorite bands!

I only snapped a few poor quality photos with my phone because I was too busy rocking out! (It actually bothers me when people spend so much time taking pictures or recordings – Put your phone down! You’re missing the whole concert!)

A lot of people don’t expect me to be such a huge Paramore fan (I don’t really come across as a punk rock fan) but Brand New Eyes and Riot! are two of my favorite albums – I especially love them during my intense workouts. And even though their sound and style has definitely changed since then, I still think they’re great. I hear and read a lot that they’ve “fallen” to being mainstream pop, and that the departure of the Farro brothers (two of the band’s founding members) a few years ago ruined their music, but I don’t think so at all. Their music has changed, so I can see how some people might not like it, but I personally still do. In my opinion, it shouldn’t matter if a band is mainstream, or how many people like them, or who liked what song first, second, last, etc…if you like a song or artist, then listen to them! The music is for you to enjoy. I like to think that’s a big reason why musicians want to make music in the first place—for people to listen, appreciate, and share with others.

Never heard Paramore before? Then thanks for reading this long, excited rant about how spectacular their concert was. Now go rock out to That’s What You Get.

Well, go get your shovel and we’ll dig a deep hole / To bury the castle, bury the castle… ♪♫♪

(Brick By Boring Brick – Paramore)

Picutre of author

About Sarah Lee

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am a junior Neuroscience student in GPPA Medicine who is still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do in my life. One day I want to be fluent in Russian and explore Eastern Europe. In my free time, I love running, playing piano and guitar, and reading. I currently live in Courtyard residence hall as a Peer Mentor but my home is in Naperville.

Share This