Enter the 20s…

♪♫♪ Do you know where the wild things go? / They go along to take your honey, la la la…

Apparently a lot of big things happened on 11/12/13. The number order must have seemed auspicious to a lot of people, because I saw the news report on dozens of couples that decided to get married on that day (many of them on a whim!). Also there was a report on a baby that was born at 14:15, and another baby that was born whose parents married on 9/10/11…

Haha well personally I celebrated 11/12/13 because it was my 20th birthday! It feels weird because many of my friends are a year younger or more than me, and I kept hearing, “You’re not a teenager anymore!” or “Wow, you’re sooo old!” I certainly don’t feel much older…it actually only really hit me yesterday during my Russian class when we were practicing speaking, and I had to say “Мне 20 лет” for the first time. I was browsing Buzzfeed (because who can resist clicking more links on the sidebar?) and I read an article that actually described age 20 as the “purgatory year” because you’re not a teenager but not quite yet an adult yet either…

Well, regardless of what should/could/will come in the next 10 years, I was just happy to relax a bit and celebrate my birthday with my loved ones. I still had classes and lots of work to get done, but my friends surprised me with some awesome presents that I am so thankful for. I got a beautiful soft scarf that’s perfect for this frigid weather, a fruit arrangement, and lots of cupcakes. In the evening, my wonderful parents also visited and surprised me with an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins! I definitely ate waaay too many sweets that whole week…on the weekend my friends and I went out to Flattop Grill too!

During that same week, I was also pretty proud of my Tea Tasting program! All of the RAs and PMs of Campus Housing host programs that can be academic or just for fun. I love tea and frequently binge-drink it when I’m up late doing homework, so I decided to do a tea tasting — the only problem was that I didn’t really have it in my personal budget to buy a great variety of loose leaf teas. So, I had to rely solely on my program budget that’s designated for Jewel. I managed to get a a pretty good variety though, because I already had my personal stash of tea to pick from. In the end, I had green, peppermint, ginger, white, black, and chai spice. Overall, I was very pleased with my program as it had the best turnout I’ve had so far! The people who came said they enjoyed the tea, with the most popular being the pomegranate white. An old friend of mine also surprised me and brought his own loose leaf tea. I tried some loose leaf Golden Monkey tea for the first time, and it was wonderful.

In other news, I’m so excited to say that the third issue of The Ampersand will be out soon! For those of you who don’t know, The Ampersand is the newsletter for the UIC Honors College. We cover all kinds of Honors College related news, events, programs, and student life. If you like reading I Am UIC blog posts, you’ll probably enjoy The Ampersand as well! You can pick up your copy in the Honors College at Burnham Hall right before finals week. We are also on Facebook – like our page to get the most updates!

By chance I stumbled into writing for The Ampersand last year as a freshman because I just wanted to get involved in publications to write more, and it has definitely been one of my best decisions at UIC. I’m currently an editor and writer and I love it! It’s been a good way for me to stay writing in my free time, and also stay involved in the Honors College.

Tired? Stressed? Drained? (I know those feelings…) I recommend brewing a hot cup of tea — lately I have found it is one thing sure to make me feel a little bit better, no matter what.

Please don’t go, please don’t go / I love you so, I love you so / Please break my heart ♪♫♪

(Breezeblocks – ∆)

Picutre of author

About Sarah Lee

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am a junior Neuroscience student in GPPA Medicine who is still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do in my life. One day I want to be fluent in Russian and explore Eastern Europe. In my free time, I love running, playing piano and guitar, and reading. I currently live in Courtyard residence hall as a Peer Mentor but my home is in Naperville.

Share This